The following are answers from an email interview with Barbee Barber, the Director of Staff and Visitor Experience at the Dallas Museum of Art.
(1) Dallas and Fort Worth have a good number of art museums. What makes the DMA unique?
- Free General Admission
- 23,000 works of art from all cultures and time periods spanning 5,000 years of human creativity
- Free membership program – DMA Friends (info here)
(2) When is the least crowded time to visit Dallas Museum of Art (day of week/time of day)?
- Weekdays after 3pm
- Sunday from 11am – 1pm
- Please note the DMA is closed on Mondays, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day
(3) What advice would you give for somebody visiting for the first time so that they could optimize their experience?
- Begin on the 4th floor and work your way through the permanent collection
- Make a point to visit the special exhibitions, many contain rare opportunities to view seldom seen art from across the globe
- Don’t miss Late Nights (third Friday of every month, excluding December, the DMA is open until midnight); there’s something for everyone
- Free live jazz on Thursday evenings
(4) How much time should visitors set aside for visiting the DMA?
- At least 2 hours; however, even if you only have a lunch break, you can find something special to invigorate your day.
(5) What’s the most exciting or funniest thing you’ve seen happen at the museum?
- There’s something for the entire family here, starting with our monthly Art Babies classes.
- Late Night, There are so many opportunities. Each Late Night offers hundreds of experiences for visitors of all ages with performances, concerts, readings, film screenings, tours, family programs, and more!
(6) Are there any new exhibits or attractions planned for the museum in the next couple of years that you care to mention?
- This fall (2015) the DMA is the US exclusive venue for, and co-organizer of Jackson Pollock: Blind Spots, deemed a once in a lifetime exhibition by experts, and will also present the nationally touring International Pop – The shows overlap for almost 9 weeks.
(7) Name 3 of your favorite places in Dallas – attractions, restaurant, etc. – where you like to take visitors?
Make a day of it in the Dallas Arts District:
- Start with breakfast at Yolk
- Then, enjoy the DMA (also a perfect lunch spot and the Museum Shop is a great place to pick up a souvenir)
- Klyde Warren Park
- The Nasher Sculpture Center
- Crow Collection of Asian Art
- End the day with supper at Proof + Pantry
DMA Photos by Andreas Praefcke (Own work (own photograph)) [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Dallas Arts District Photo by Dallasborn&bred (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons